As a Senior Recruiter for Future Talents at adidas, I am lucky to have many opportunities to interact with a growing community of creators around the world, all eager to kickstart a career at adidas. Standing out from the crowd isn’t always easy, so I joined forces with GamePlan A to give subscribers an exclusive chance to ask their questions on how to make their applications shine.
Here are just some of the tips I shared with them.
Before the application phase
As one of the most recognizable brands in the world, we receive hundreds of job applications each day and believe me when I say the bar is high and the competition is fierce. However, there are certain common denominators that differentiate all successful applicants. Check them out:
- Evaluate whether you are truly qualified and passionate about the role you’re applying for. In my experience, it is the truly passionate applicants who stand out through the application process.
- Research our company culture, strategy and more general industry trends before submitting your application. It can make all the difference.
- Check the job requirements thoroughly and prepare all supporting documents. We know that standing out can be difficult with only a CV and a cover letter, but we encourage you to think outside of the box and show us your creativity.
- Don’t submit a generic application you could hand in at any company. Remember the application is your business card and it should trigger the interest of the recruiter to get to know you better, so to give yourself a better chance of getting the career at adidas you’ve always wanted, make sure you target it to adidas and the specific job you are applying for.
- Don’t apply through email or social media; your application will only get to us through our official careers website.
- Don’t worry if you come from a totally different industry. In fact, given that you fulfill the specific job criteria, that multidisciplinary knowledge might even strengthen your application.
During & after the application phase
You have received our “Thank you for your application” message. And now what? Here are a few notes worth taking:
- Be patient and prepare yourself for the next steps: understand your strengths and weaknesses, rehearse your talking points and be clear about what you can bring to the table.
- During an interview, don’t rush it! It is a smart choice to take your time to think about your answers and ask for clarification if needed. Thinking carefully about your answers always plays in your favor.
- Although this is something of a cliché, relax and be yourself. As recruiter, I can assure you we are not looking for perfect molds and we don’t expect you to know all the answers.
- Be prepared: Research industry trends and stay up to date on where we stand as a business.
- Ask insightful questions: We love it when applicants are genuinely interested in knowing more about the specific role and life at adidas.
- Be mindful of your timing and manners when following up with recruiters.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Whether you move onto the next stage in the process will depend on many factors, most of them out of your control.
- While confidence can take you a long way during an interview, cockiness might be just two steps away, so don’t lessen your chances by overdoing it or standing on someone’s feet.
- Don’t overthink your outfits for interviews or assessment centers. Even though we strongly discourage wearing competitor products, you have entire freedom to wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.
- Don’t limit your choices to one specific location. We operate in many countries around the world, so chances are there’s a broader range of opportunities available beyond your first choice.
- Don’t push it. We know the interview process can sometimes be lengthy and frustrating, but patience, as they say, is a virtue. We will get back to you. There are a lot of people chasing their dream of a career at adidas.
Having the chance to connect with so many readers showed me how passionate you are about wanting to become part of the adidas family. If you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the GamePlan A newsletter for up-to-date insights from within our company and from our wider community.