If you’ve been looking for your next career step, you may have come across virtual video interviews. This tool is relatively new, but more and more companies are leveraging this type of interview to optimize the recruiting process for both businesses and candidates.
At adidas, this method of interviewing is relatively common, since it helps us to reach candidates from across the globe, whilst also allowing us to have a more effective assessment approach when evaluating candidates.
So, what is a virtual video interview?
A virtual video interview is a web-based pre-recorded interview. It allows you to record the interview at your own convenience.
We typically allow 3-4 days for you to complete the interview. All you need to have is a webcam and a microphone, or you could even use your tablet or mobile device. During the video interview, our team will ask you questions (usually between five and seven questions) which you can also read on screen. For each question, you are given around 20 – 30 seconds to prepare your answer and up to two minutes to record your response.
Want a job at adidas? Here’s how you can rock your virtual video interview with us:
Relax and be yourself!
We know that it can be awkward talking to a screen and we understand that you are challenging yourself. The good news is that we don’t expect perfection. The video interview is an opportunity to get to know you, your motivation, and gather some basic information to help us assess your profile against the job requirements.
Have a list of key messages you want to deliver to make your profile stand out, including your achievements, previous experience and professional skills.
Do your research
Start off by gathering any information you deem relevant such as our strategy or culture. Is there anything you think your potential future employer would expect you to know? Take some time to really dig deep into what makes our company tick.
Having a clear understanding of the role will boost your confidence and help you to really sell yourself. Also consider what you want to get out of this job. Don’t just focus on what you can give adidas, but also what you can gain from this experience. Remember – this is a two-way street.
It’s not just about what you say
Being a video, it’s not just the content that matters, but also how you present it. Here are a few do’s and don’ts that you might want to take into consideration when filming:
- Ensure that you’re set up technically. Is your webcam working? Is the sound on? What is the surrounding environment like?
- Make sure you are not going to be interrupted and that you are in a quiet space – put a sign on the door if you need to.
- Practice with the trial questions right before the virtual video interview starts.
- Answer slowly and clearly. Take your time, you can do a lot in two minutes.
- Support your answers with relevant examples.
- Maintain eye contact and show your energy.
- Smile! Show us your personality!
- Let time pass you by and forget to prepare.
- Miss the deadline for completing the interview. We can’t extend it.
- Give general answers only about the company; instead, tailor to the job as well.
- Keep reading off your notes, you can peek when you have to, but keep it personal and authentic.
- Use buzz words; generic responses don’t show us who you are…
- Ramble if you don’t need the whole two minutes.
Pre-recorded video interviews can be stressful, so we hope you’ve found these tips and tricks helpful.
If you have any further tips or comments, feel free to leave them in the comments below.
Interested in a career at adidas?
Check out our careers site for all current opportunitiesJoin team adidas