You’ve heard of trust falls and ropes courses. You’ve likely cringed at the word ‘ice breaker’. Well we recently tried a new team building and we are reaping the benefits. And not just from a health perspective, either.
Need some burdock root in your life? Maybe some spirulina?
I’ll be the first to admit it. I had absolutely no idea what those ingredients were a couple of months ago.* It was then that a meeting invite popped up on my computer screen – sent to me and the rest of our team from our project manager, Krista Gates – inviting us all in big, bold letters to simply…JUICE.
Shouts of joy came from some. Screams of uneasiness came from others. Either way, our team was excited to do something new that would bring us closer together.
“Our office and adidas in general encourages a healthy and active lifestyle, so I thought this could be a fun way to bond as a group while also focusing on our health,” said Gates.
She was right. In fact, it was such a memorable experience that our team still talks about it to this day.
Mixing and blending team memories
But how did it all come together? Simple. Gates reached out to a local juice company here in Carlsbad, OH! Juice, and asked if they would like to do a hands-on presentation to our team. Done and done. They brought their entire line-up of juices for us to try and walked us through what each individual ingredient was doing for our bodies. There were laughs when we tried the, let’s say, not-so-tasty ones, and looks of surprise when things actually tasted…delicious. It was more than just a group of people sitting (and drinking) their way through a presentation.
I learned a few things that day beyond what burdock root can do for your body:
- Team building doesn’t need to be fancy. Sometimes keeping things simple – like drinking healthy juice as a team – can go a long way.
- A healthy activity can re-energize the team. Beyond providing a healthy break in the day where we could return to our work with a new sense of focus, many of our team members have since inquired about cleanses and coffee connoisseurs have found an alternative for a late-afternoon caffeine fix.
- The best activities leave a lasting, positive impact. It was juicing for us, but it could easily be something else for your team.
- Bonus: We discovered the perfect pre- and post-workout juice. The ‘Cookies N Protein’ juice packs a powerful blend of ingredients like Madagascar vanilla bean to help control heart rate and blood pressure, Medjool dates for strengthening bone health, and Maca root to help cells deal with stress response and increase energy, just to name a few. Oh, did I mention how good it tastes?
An unforeseen side effect happened when word about our juicing activity spread around the office.
Other teams started asking about juicing after they saw our photos. Many times team activities involve happy hour which can include not-so-healthy food and alcohol, so it was nice to take a different approach and see others wanting to join in on the fun.
I won’t lie to you and say that our whole team is now a bunch of juice-aholics. What I will say, is that we’re a lot closer as a team, and that has spilled over into the work we do for adidas Golf. A win-win in my book.
*In case you’re interested:
- Moringa leaf is known as the miracle leaf with 90 nutrients, 46 different antioxidants, and all eight essential amino acids.
- Burdock root is a great blood purifier, helps reduce blood pressure and has been known to reduce the common cold.
- Spirulina is high in chlorophyll, helping to remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.