Waking up with the sunrise, driving on empty streets, listening to birdsong…just some of the benefits of starting the day with a morning workout. Sounds tempting? Well not if you´re not a morning person! Getting up at 6am can be quite tough, but I’ve learned over the past months that it´s well worth it. People who exercise in the morning find they have more energy for the rest of the day, because of the boost in circulation and the rush of ‘happy’ hormones.

“A 30-minute workout will wake you up better than any coffee ever could.”

Early morning exercise also has a positive effect on concentration abilities, which can come in handy when making complex decisions later in the day. Last but not least, morning workouts regulate your appetite throughout the day and make you sleep better rather than working out in the evening.

So how have I managed to become that early bird? I have four little tips that make it easier for me to set my alarm for before sunrise:

1. Pack your gear the night before

Take some time the evening before to prepare everything for your morning workout: pack your gym bag, leave out your running gear, have your outfit ready for the office. This only takes you a couple of minutes, but you can leave the house right after getting up without starting to doubt or question why you´re even doing it. Ready to go!

Early bird 1

2. Partner up

Find a buddy to work out with in the morning. If a friend is waiting for you at the gym or around the corner you can’t roll over and treat yourself to another hour’s sleep.

Valentine's Couple Workout

3. Prepare a nutritious breakfast

Make yourself a take-away breakfast for after your workout. Oatmeal energy bars, fresh fruit smoothies and muesli with yogurt are quickly prepared the night before and easily enjoyed at your desk.

4. No excuses anymore

It’s very easy to cancel your sport plans in the evening. So many things come up…working late, meeting friends, housework or you’re just too tired. By exercising before work there are no excuses for not doing it and you’ll still have time after work to meet friends and family.

What gets you out of bed for an early morning workout?

Let's make work life better through the power of sport.

‘GamePlan A’ is the first business lifestyle magazine fueled by sport.

ABOUT GAMEPLAN A
Please take note of the commenting guidelines.
You will receive an email to approve your comment.
Please take note of the commenting guidelines.
You will receive an email to approve your comment.

Thanks for your comment

You will receive an email to approve your comment. It will only appear after your confirmation.

Okay

Oh no! An unexpected error occurred.

Try again
by Rahul Patel 10.06.2016
This is great advice. I tell myself this points often but reading them from someone else certainly helps give me that extra push to start doing this!
Nina Weihrauch
Nina Weihrauch | Editor Rahul Patel 17.06.2016
Hi Rahul,

thanks for your comment. Challenge yourself! It'll feel GREAT afterwards. :)

Looking forward to hearing from your early bird experience.

Ready...set...GO,

Nina
by Denise Bell 30.06.2016
Knowing that I’m doing something that will not only benefit my body but that improves my productivity throughout my day prepares me for all my workouts, not just early morning. Also with the proper nutrition that I know works for my body in conjunction with the exercise gives me continuous energy and overall health.
by Mark 04.07.2016
Every night I made a plan to do lill workout to get a healthy body and mind, but just because of my laziness I can't leave my blanket in morning.

Pls guide me.
by Sophia Mark 06.07.2016
Hey Mark,
I totally feel you. Sometimes it is hard to get out of the warm and comfy bed and it´s way easier to stay there instead of getting up and working on yourself. But try to imagine how great you felt after your last workout. This always motivates me. Overcome your inner temptation and get up, I´m sure you´ll feel amazing afterwards!
by William @ Runnerlight 03.08.2016
Thank your sharing! They are good for a runner as mine. I agree with you “A 30-minute workout will wake you up better than any coffee ever could.” I like this post! ^^
by Hemant kumar 03.09.2016
Woah,
Nice piece of well crafted content
by Fabio Silva 20.10.2016
Great article with excellent advise

Morning exercise coupled with good sleep and a nutricional died are essential for an effective day at work
by Nate 27.11.2016
We have a group sunrise spiritual time. We are all committed to get up 30 min before sunrise and get together and all ready right at sunrise. This is suppose to be the best time for prayer, an spiritual awakening that effects the entire day. In Jewish religion it is called NETZ. In our group, we call or text each other, if one does not show up for unknown reasons.
by Neil 06.12.2016
Well, I completely disagree. Some people are naturally early birds and some are night owls, and if you fight your innate tendencies you are looking for trouble. For me at least, strenuous exercise first thing in the morning feels very unnatural, and while it might wake me up and make me feel alert for a short period, I find that there is a rebound effect later on and I will end up feeling very tired in the afternoon. For me it is natural to excercise late, eat and then sleep. I will then wake in the morning (later - having had time for a decent amount of sleep!) feeling energetic and refreshed. I can also push myself harder when exercising knowing that I can fully rest afterwards.

I'm sick and tired of the fact that society is structured around the needs of morning people rather than evening types, and that the preferences of the former are continually portrayed as more virtuous. There is no rational or scientific basis for this.
Hi Neil,

thanks for your honest comment. I really like that you joined the conversation around this often discussed topic.
I agree with you that you should listen to your body's and mind's needs. Every individual is different. In this article Sophia shares her personal experiences and tips that helped her to become an early bird, because she realized that her body and mind is benefiting from workouts in the morning.
This article isn't meant for judging different ways of organizing your daily life, but I am convinced that being active (no matter when) makes me more productive and energetic during the work day. Do you agree?

Best,
Nina
by Neil Nina Weihrauch 21.12.2016
Hi Nina,

Yes, I certainly agree that being active generally is absolutely vital for health and energy. I just don't like being told to "get out of bed" myself and have no desire to "be an early bird" (I never will be!)
by Jamaica King 13.12.2016
Many ask me how I manage to wake up at 5-6am daily to workout when I start work at 10am. I always respond, "Life gets me out of bed." I want to live a little before going in to work and am usually too exhausted after.
Nina Weihrauch
Nina Weihrauch | Editor Jamaica King 19.12.2016
Sounds great!
Take your athlete's heart with you to work to make work life better, more inspiring and fun :)

Best.
Nina
Nina Weihrauch
Nina Weihrauch | Editor Jamaica King 09.01.2017
Wow, love your comment, Jamaica King! Welcome to your huddle.

High five,

Nina
by Dipankar Bhattacharya 14.05.2017
Reading this gave me a feeling that I am reading myself. This habit is wonderful for selfish people like me,have been making me feel good since I was a kid, so good that a selfish man like me starts feeling for others
by Sharon Zirk 16.05.2017
I wasn't always a morning person but packing my gym bag, getting my breakfast and lunch ready all the night before has definitely has helped me make it to the gym for 6:30am!! I do this 3x a week and now that the weather has turned nice, seriously debating taking the dogs for an early morning walk the other 2. We'll see if it happens though! I do the AM workouts because I know that once I'm done work for the day, I"M DONE!
Nina Weihrauch
Nina Weihrauch | Editor Sharon Zirk 24.05.2017
Hi Sharon,
your routine is very inspiring.
I sometimes struggle to wake up at 06:00 AM to work out even when I already prepared everything the night before.
Any tips on how to resist hitting the snooze button too often?

Best,

Nina
by franferldan 26.05.2017
I suggest, as what I actually do, sleep at 10:00 in the evening, wake up at 4:00 in the morning, drink 1 liter of water, do the warm-ups, ( i do the army dozens), perform toiletry requirements, about 5:00 a.m. start brisk walking for about 1 km, then run for not less than 40 minutes a day. You'll be sharp and athletically fit the whole day. thanks
by Akrapovic 06.07.2017
There are simple but vitals rules to challenger ourselves. The best one is 4. No excuses anymore: often overlooked but it's the first symptom of incoming failure. Thanks!

Recommended