The science behind adidas football jerseys and other product innovations
Football players are getting faster. The game in general moves at a faster pace nowadays. But what’s next? Determining the future of sport, this is what the adidas innovation team does. As the Innovation Director for football, I look three to five years out to understand where the game is going and how the player requirements change when it comes to football products.
The latest adidas football jerseys for the 2014 World Cup for example are 50% lighter than the previous ones, which actually were also very light already. Why? Because giving players every edge they can get at the top of their game makes a real difference.
Being very close to the athletes and working with some really cool and high-tech machines and technology definitely is key for us to be able to always come up with the next greatest football products. Let me take you on a tour through our innovation lab to show you where all the magic happens. This place is top secret; so much that not even all adidas employees get access to it …
Stay tuned: in the next post of this series, you will get insights into how our designers find inspiration for designing football jerseys. I can tell you, our designers are a funny bunch of people. The post will be published on March 19th, 2014.
Other posts of this series
- Behind the scenes at adidas – What it takes to bring the 2014 World Cup to life
- A career in the center of football craziness – Product Marketing at adidas
- How adidas football designers hunt down inspiration for world cup jerseys
- How much high-tech is in the world cup’s match ball?
- Sports Marketing – The adidas vanguard for the World Cup in Brazil
- Where the football stars get their cleats pimped
- Visiting the birthplace of brazuca
- A nation of reviewers: Designing the World Cup football kit for your own team
- World Cup preps: A great kick-off for a career in sports
- How brazuca got Messi’s seal of approval
- Behind the scenes of the German national team
- Lightweight – The heavyweight in the sporting goods industry
leave my e mail address. New Brunswick 1995?
Great stuff, would like to keep in touch New Brunswick 90-95