Inspiration may lurk anywhere and you never know when it hits you. As a designer it’s your job to turn this process into something proactive. It’s not about getting hit by inspiration but about finding it.
I am part of the adidas design team that is responsible for designing the football jerseys for our teams at the football world cup this year. The job itself as designer allows you to research into a wide variety of subject and is a great challenge. Working out the national identity of a country and incorporate this into the design of the football shirts, this is what is driving us. My friends always ask me how we work and where we get our inspiration from – well, sometimes it is more unconventional than you would think…
What is your recipe to boost your own creativity?
Is there anything you need to get hit by ideas? Do you maybe have any rituals you follow? After all creativity is always helpful, no matter where you work. Leave a comment or engage with us on LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter (use #inside3stripes) to share your thoughts.
In the next post of this world cup series you’ll meet Hans-Peter who is the mastermind behind the key-technology of the Brazuca, official match ball of the FÌFA World Cup 2014. He’ll share with you what is so special about Brazuca and how adidas achieves to always improve its products. The post will be published on 26. March 2014.
More valuable knowledge about how we make football happen and design football jerseys:
- Behind the scenes at adidas – What it takes to bring the 2014 World Cup to life
- A career in the center of football craziness – Product Marketing at adidas
- The science behind adidas football jerseys and other product innovations
- How much high-tech is in the world cup’s match ball?
- Sports Marketing – The adidas vanguard for the World Cup in Brazil
- Where the football stars get their cleats pimped
- Visiting the birthplace of brazuca
- A nation of reviewers: Designing the World Cup football kit for your own team
- World Cup preps: A great kick-off for a career in sports
- How brazuca got Messi’s seal of approval
- Behind the scenes of the German national team
- Optimistic, spontaneous, rythmic – How adidas designers were inspired by Brazil
- The man who put his heart on your sleeve – Designing the DFB jersey